Best of ForuMotion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Best of ForuMotion

A private forum for the judging panel of Best of ForuMotion.

You are not connected. Please login or register

UX Competition Response

+6
Super Mega King
Meatshield718
lisa1302
Tilum
Base
Viho1
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1UX Competition Response Empty UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:56 am

Viho1

Hello, I am one of 3 administrators of UndeadXbox. The rest of my community and I are outraged at the final results of the contest. We can not see how the placement ended up the way it is, and feel that the contest was handled improperly in the first place.

For starters round 3, originally stated to be the top 5 voted forums (which would not even INCLUDE worlddesignz or geek police) was spontaneously changed to 10 forums.

Round 4, originally stated to decide the top 3 out of 5 based on votes, ended up being completely meaningless as you did not follow through with this. Once again changing the contest at the last second and making the votes that we worked so hard to get (believing that they mattered) were meaningless.

The response we recieved was that the votes "aided" your decision. However as Darren1 responded at the end of round 4 "Thank you to everyone whom has participated this this round, you have truely made our job of deciding the winner more difficult, even though it is clear at whom it will be," it seemed you had already picked your winner, BandA based on their number of votes. Yet at the same time, while we believed that we were AT LEAST getting third placed based on having the 2nd most amount of votes, we came in fifth. I've looked at all of the competing websites just as much as the judges it the past couple of weeks and I can not see in any way, shape or form, how

1. BandA wins first place. While we realize that it's entirely possible that BandA won legitimately, we are forced to question the results based on their votes.
Their sob stories in the competition threads must have had something to do with their win. Their number of votes also seemed very fishy. Within hours of each round they had 40-50 votes, and climbed to 90 votes. Yet during these rounds they did not even have enough user "log in within the past 48 hours" to match this. This would mean that they were getting a ton of non-BandA members to vote for them. This would mean that EVERYBODY else voted for them, because I know that the other forums including ourselves, could barely muster up 5 votes from non-members.

2. Fifth place? Are you serious? We saw the possibility of 2nd, maybe even 3rd, but fifth? There must be something you are not understanding about the depth and hardwork that goes into our community and our forum. There are many private sections of our forum limited to certain groups, and outside flash pages.

3. Just read the topic aimed towards us and our behavior. I am disgusted that you would factor in our "behavior" into your competition. The contest is based on the best forum of 2011, not who pissed you off (MAKING YOUR DECISIONS AS JUDGES BIASED). I apologize and have previously apologized for the replies on members and even staff members of my community before, but this is a competition and we are a very passionate community and to try and silence an entire community is impossible. This point alone should result in a change in final result.

4. It seems that the judges looked poorly upon our raffle. As stated before we took this competition very seriously. We had a raffle for those who voted, posted a thread on our website and even created a very well done youtube video to show our users how to vote. This is a competition and we wanted and tried hard to win it. Other websites who did not even post a topic on their websites (and probably even forgot they entered in the first place,) showed no interest in the contest.

Make no mistake, we proudly call ourselves number five in all of forummotion -- an appelation that we feel makes us unique. Our post here is not meant to be inflammatory or berating, we're simply outraged at the way the contest was conducted and we request some more information.

2UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am

Base

Base
Boob Lover!

Hi, what information would you like exactly?

https://bestoffm.forumotion.com

3UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 am

Tilum

Tilum
Milk Man V2.0

Members and staff members behaviour is excusable. The founders isn't - in our opinion.

~ Tilum

4UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 am

lisa1302

Umm are you accusing my forum of cheating?! Im sorry but seriously - you are disgusting to try and make out that because you lost!

We have around 100 active regular members, not including people who visit on a casual basis. So 1/3 of our members voted (if they all were our members, you know other people could and did vote) which is perfectly reasonable bearing in mind our regular active members.

All BandA members are very loyal and supportive and so if that is shown by us getting more votes than a forum with 5000 members then so be it, but do not accuse us of cheating.

Sob stories?! Are you for real?! One lady Laura posted that she needed the support of her friends on there - yes real life friends not just forum - because her daughter of 2 has undergone massive heart surgery more than once already and faces more this summer.

How frikkin dare you accuse her of trying to get a sympathy vote for a competition.

I am gob smacked really I am - you lost - why try to make out we didn't deserve to win just because you lost?!

Edit - also just to add, our 'members connected in previous 48 hours' is usually between 80-100 Rolling Eyes

5UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 am

lisa1302

''lisa1302 wrote:
No, it isn't because I won - it's because its a fun competition that I entered without thinking I had a chance to win - because we all believe in our forums, but its how people from the outside see our forums that was important here too - and to be honest the teensy little changes the judges made to contest made no difference to the outcome/

So what do you think would have changed had the judges not made slight changes to the way the contest was run? You think you'd have deserved to come in the top 3 simply because you offered an incentive to your members?

All you are doing by complaining is trying to belittle the contest - and yes we have all read you comments on your forum - however you won't ruin it for everyone else, despite your attempts. ''

''Cry Vengeance wrote:

I find it really disappointing that several people from UX supported you and the members of Banda, even protested against the possibility of you being suspended. And you were a good sport all the way through, but as soon as you win, you start talking shit about everyone that lost.

Grow up.''

I cba to comment on the first few bits here .... but 'Grow Up'?! Hmmm you got me there - I'm 31 and get asked for ID, even for Lemsip - life's hard when you are mistaken for half your age at my age!

6UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 am

Tilum

Tilum
Milk Man V2.0

Who'd a thought there's an age restriction on Lemsip...

Anyway, i'll proberly get fired from my role as accouncment checker, but i banned Cry Venegrance for 2 days to let him cool off.

~ Tilum

7UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 am

lisa1302

Yeh, can you believe it .... 16 apparently!
Embarassed

8UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 9:50 am

Tilum

Tilum
Milk Man V2.0

I'd take it as a compliment Razz

~ Tilum

9UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 9:58 am

lisa1302

haha yeh I did til I got to about 25....its just embarrassing now, I panic if Im buying wine/beer/PG dvds lol - that I'll get asked and I've forgotten my drivers licence - honestly trying to convince the shop lady that I am actually 31 is worse than lying that I was 18 when I was 16!

10UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 am

lisa1302

http://www.undead-xbox.com/t6250-best-of-forumotion-contest-results

Come on guys, get a grip - you think the results were due to being chummy with the judges?! So now its wrong to be pleasant to people?! It's not like I bribed them with sexual favours! Laughing

I really can see why you are disappointed at not winning, yeh I would be equally - but to drag down MY forum just because you lost is pretty low and you know that!

''It's unfortunate, the contest could've been a nice way to share members between forummotion forums if it hadn't been mishandled.''
You know that a fair few members have joined other forums from the contest - I've had quite a few and I've also joined some others from it - so yeh it's nice that forums have mixed a bit!

11UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

Meatshield718

lisa1302 wrote:http://www.undead-xbox.com/t6250-best-of-forumotion-contest-results

Come on guys, get a grip - you think the results were due to being chummy with the judges?! So now its wrong to be pleasant to people?! It's not like I bribed them with sexual favours! Laughing

I really can see why you are disappointed at not winning, yeh I would be equally - but to drag down MY forum just because you lost is pretty low and you know that!

I don't anywhere in that thread where any of the staff or administrators are in anyway trying to drag down your forum. Could you show me exactly what you find insulting?

Also, I get it. You don't need to post about how pathetic we are in being upset with the rules again. If you have any other points to bring up to improve other forums or to better the competition for next year, feel free to continue posting.

@ Tilum
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by no longer being in charge of announcements. Are you being punished for something, I'm confused.

12UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 11:11 am

lisa1302

Meatshield718 wrote:
lisa1302 wrote:http://www.undead-xbox.com/t6250-best-of-forumotion-contest-results

I don't anywhere in that thread where any of the staff or administrators are in anyway trying to drag down your forum. Could you show me exactly what you find insulting?

Also, I get it. You don't need to post about how pathetic we are in being upset with the rules again. If you have any other points to bring up to improve other forums or to better the competition for next year, feel free to continue posting.

@ Tilum
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by no longer being in charge of announcements. Are you being punished for something, I'm confused.

The link was in relation to the 1st comment I made.

The last comment refers to; accusing my forum of cheating, getting sob story votes...I could go on.
I also don't really care whether it is your staff or members trying to make the contest out to less than what it is, we won fair and square - no cheating and no bribery so please do not insult me by trying to make out we cheated.

I am pretty sure Tilum was joking!

p.s the prizes for the contest haven't even been announced yet - just thought I'd let you know that as a few of your members don't seem to have grasped that point.

13UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 12:22 pm

Super Mega King

The members, in that topic, are referring to the raffle prizes we promised, Lisa.

If you're going to read our topics as an outsider, don't expect to comprehend everything we're talking about. Very Happy

The members are voicing their own opinion on our own forum. I wish you to respect that. Their opinions don't reflect the memberbase as a whole and much less the staff team.

Also, as DeadApe mentioned in the topic post, the suspect of you guys coming comes from the astounding amount of votes you guys garnered in such a small time. Considering your small community, I don't think that's such an outlandish thing to be CURIOUS about. Calm down.

Just so you know: The staff team and the admins, as a whole, respect your community, but are dissatisfied with the contest. We are not trying to belittle you, we are voicing our derision for the contest. I repeat, for the contest. This isn't a personal affair from UX vs. BandA.

14UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 12:56 pm

lisa1302

I was referring to the 'banner' comments - not your raffle!

Next time you guys are 'curious' about something - do it in private please - it's awful to see people embarrass themselves when they get curious but don't know what is appropriate and what isn't..

Just for the record - suggesting someone has cheated is way off the mark of being curious ... maybe read it again..you think it was a fair comment to make?! Nothing made you question the results other than bitterness at losing.

1. BandA wins first place. While we realize that it's entirely possible that BandA won legitimately, we are forced to question the results based on their votes.
Their sob stories in the competition threads must have had something to do with their win. Their number of votes also seemed very fishy. Within hours of each round they had 40-50 votes, and climbed to 90 votes. Yet during these rounds they did not even have enough user "log in within the past 48 hours" to match this. This would mean that they were getting a ton of non-BandA members to vote for them. This would mean that EVERYBODY else voted for them, because I know that the other forums including ourselves, could barely muster up 5 votes from non-members.

15UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Super Mega King

I see nothing wrong with saying that our curiosity over the votes makes us question the legitimacy of the results.

Also, I'm growing rather tired of your holier-than-thou assertions that we are "pathetic" and are "embarrassing" ourselves. You talk about being appropriate but all you have been doing is bashing us left and right ever since this whole discussion started. Nearly every post of yours has been designed to bring us down in some hypocritical way. And you are the founder of the website, not some random member.

I'll say again that we hold no personal grievance over BandA.

16UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 1:09 pm

lisa1302

The reason is I am pissed off at you trying to make out we cheated - why can't you just back off, stop using words like curious to make it sound better, stop making out you had no grievance with banda - it doesn't work, everything else you/your staff have said is to the contrary, and as yet I have not seen an apology for suggesting we cheated, to be honest I don't expect one after recent posts because you have absolutely no understanding of why it was wrong!

I am not holier than anyone and have never claimed to be, so grow tired all you want.

I have not once bashed your forum - all I have have done is respond to your comments and comments made about my forum. Bearing in mind an opening point was to accuse us of cheating do you not wonder why I am just a little bit annoyed with your staff?!

I am done here. It's been like banging ones head against a brick wall.

17UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Super Mega King

Point out one thing that indicates that our staff has a problem with you guys. One thing. We're concerned with the contest, not you guys.

How have you guys not bashed us? Your little comments about "bribery" and "embarrassing" and in general are bashing us.

I apologize for accusing your forum of cheating, for what it's worth, but can't you understand exactly why we would jump to that conclusion in the first place?

If you'd like to continue speaking on the matter, I'll be in the chatbox on the front page for a little while longer. Other than that, let's not digress.

To the moderators: I'd like a list of things we want wrong/did good and a list of things the other sites did wrong/did good that way we can improve our site for next year. Thank you.

18UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 1:34 pm

eaustinn36

lisa1302 wrote:why I am just a little bit annoyed with your staff?!

I really hope your not bringing me into this, lisa, especially since I have been very respectful to all forums in this competition.

I am just a little concerned as to how the results were decided. As Super Mega King stated above, I would like to see the breakdown as well. Maybe from my view I am seeing this incorrectly, but from how I see it now, it seems that voting and even "how good a forum is" had less than most to do with it. It seems that personal disputes between a couple people, not how good the forum is, was the main deciding factor in how the results were decided.

I am NOT saying you should have lost Lisa; however, i'm not saying you should have won either. I am just a little surprised, or shocked, at UX's finishing position, given the voting and effort put into our forum. The simple fact that Geekpolice, a forum in which received only 6 votes and had little involvement in the contest, beat us, just shows how this "dispute" was weighed in judging more than anything else. The way things were put after round 2... it seemed that UX and BandA were in the run for the lead. In both voting rounds, 2 and 4, it seemed voting had near zero influence on the competition whatsoever.

And again, I mean no disrespect to ANY forum. Everyone in the top 5 has a great forum. I just hope someone besides me and UX can see my perspective on this.

19UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Base

Base
Boob Lover!

Hi, the way we judged the forums were not what went well and what went wrong. When we judged, we took the following factors into consideration:

Community - this involved how nice the community was and so yes, behaviour of the community was also part of this.

Aestheticism - this is purely how the forum looks like and its graphics. We felt that the other forums looked better.

Those were the two main factors, but it was also our personal opinion which we shall not be disclosing. Smile

20UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:33 pm

Viho1

Base wrote:
Community - this involved how nice the community was and so yes, behaviour of the community was also part of this.

Aestheticism - this is purely how the forum looks like and its graphics. We felt that the other forums looked better.

Those were the two main factors, but it was also our personal opinion which we shall not be disclosing. Smile

Community - You based how "nice" (an element of this contest that shouldn't exist) our community of 5000+ was based on a couple of posts and (a PM. Cool.

Aestheticism - Your choice for number one forum has the most basic and bland design out of the top 5 and a terribly coded navigation bar. Yet my forum which I did the entire layout by myself, photoshopping every single element of, including profile medals, widgets, and the entire "safehouse" which I bet was not even looked out, and recieves regular layout changes was placed fifth.

@Lisa, feel free to step out any time, at no point has anybody been talking to you. You clearly are not understanding that we don't have a problem with BandA, but the contest itself. My members are allowed to say whatever they want on my forum. If you don't like it, don't lurk on it.

21UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Base

Base
Boob Lover!

Actually, if it was the 'blandest' as you put it then it wouldn't be first place, would it...? UX Competition Response 78754

22UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Base

Base
Boob Lover!

Don't forget, we all agreed on this. So it's not a matter of personal bias, but rather a group agreement.

23UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 pm

Viho1

Base wrote:Actually, if it was the 'blandest' as you put it then it wouldn't be first place, would it...? UX Competition Response 78754

Thats my point.

24UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Base

Base
Boob Lover!

But it wasn't the blandest is our point. Wink

25UX Competition Response Empty Re: UX Competition Response Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 pm

lisa1302

Viho1 wrote:
Base wrote:

Community - You based how nice our community of 5000+ was based on a couple of posts and a PM. Cool.

Aestheticism - Your choice for number one forum has the most basic and bland design out of the top 5 and a terribly coded navigation bar. Yet my forum which I did the entire layout by myself, photoshopping every single element of, including profile medals, widgets, and the entire "safehouse" which I bet was not even looked out, and recieves regular layout changes was placed fifth.

@Lisa, feel free to step out any time, at no point has anybody been talking to you. You clearly are not understanding that we don't have a problem with BandA, but the contest itself. My members are allowed to say whatever they want on my forum. If you don't like it, don't lurk on it.

Talk about me, talk to me - same thing!

YES you obviously DO have an issue with BandA - you accused us of cheating, how is that NOT having a problem with us? .

UX have constantly insulted my forum through this competition and everyone but UX can see it.

Lurk?! The reason I 1st went to your forum being that your thoughtless members used my full forum address, so now when its googled your thread comes up http://undead-xbox.forumotion.com/t6146p15-vote-undeadxbox-the-best-forumotion-forum-of-2011-voters-will-be-entered-into-a-raffle-for-prizes

What is wrong with you guys? Everytime I read your forum there are new excuses for not winning - get over it - you did not lose JUST BECAUSE you had a disagreement with a judge - you lost because in the grand scheme of things the judges decided that 4 other different forums met what they were looking for more, why can't you see this? Have you never entered a competition before, are you incapable of comprehending why you won't always win?

Even on your most recent reply you are STILL insulting my forum ,its bland with bad coding blah blah. Shocked

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its wrong - how narrow minded are you?!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum